DIY Photography Daily Life Art Music Outfits Image Map

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

DIY: String Heart


So Mother's Day has already passed, but this is what I made for my mother and she loved it so I decided that I should share it with you guys! Usually I am horrible at getting/making gifts on time but I decided I would be efficient this year! I looked up DIY Mother's Day gifts and I found this string heart "do it yourself" on http://greenweddingshoes.com/ so I did not come up with this wonderful idea, sadly. But it was very fun to make and didn't take too much time. 

Materials:
- piece of wood
- string – I used the pink neon thin rope you can find at Home Depot, but you could use any yarn or string
- box of nails (you want a nail with a decent head so the string won't pop off)
- hammer
- paper to draw the heart on
- ruler

Step 1: Lay your paper of the piece of wood and tape it down. Draw your heart, and what I did next was make a dot every half-inch around the entire outline of the heart with a ruler. I guess it would depend how large or small your piece of wood is to determine the spacing of the nails. 

Step 2: Take your hammer and nail on the dots that you made around the entire outline of the heart. 

Step 3: Once you're done remove the paper and examine your work!


4) Next, take your string and tie a knot on one of the nails really tight so that it doesn't slip off. Then just keep stringing the string on different nails until every individual nail has been wrapped around or when you are satisfied with how it looks. 

5) [Optional] You can outline the heart to make the shape "pop" a little more. Either wrap it around each nail to create the outline or you can just loop it around the entire thing. 

6) When you are all done tie a knot (or few) on one of the nails and viola! 


Since this project was so fun to make and a great present for Mother's Day, I decided to make a few more for my Grandma, Grammie and my step mom but they are a lot smaller than the one I made for my mom, but the procedure is the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment